Design and Manufacture Advanced Higher
The Advanced Higher Design and Manufacture Course will allow learners to explore the multi-faceted world of product design and manufacturing in an increasingly commercial and industrialised context.
The course focuses on creativity and innovation in the contexts of product design and manufacture. Learners will have opportunities to make good use of their knowledge and skills already obtained across their learning experiences, for example drawing on numeracy and science when considering technical details and operational principles, and on aspects of social sciences when considering aspects of environmentalism and ethics, as well as other areas of the curriculum, personal experiences and interests. It is in this integrative quality that the Course demonstrates broad options, possibilities and flexibilities in supporting personal growth.
The challenges and activities for learning in the Course encourage learners to become successful, responsible and creative in their use of design and manufacturing skills and technologies, and to continue to acquire and develop the attributes and capabilities of the four capacities, including: creativity, flexibility and adaptability; enthusiasm and a willingness to learn; perseverance, independence and resilience; responsibility and reliability; and confidence and enterprise. In addition, a Course of this nature should prepare the learner to be able to understand the effects of design and manufacturing decisions, and promote self-awareness and responsibilities in environmental stewardship. Through these challenges and activities, learners should find learning an enjoyable and engaging experience.
The Course is designed for all learners who can respond to a level of challenge including, but not limited to, those considering further study or a career in design and manufacturing-related disciplines. It provides sufficient breadth, flexibility and choice to meet the needs of all learners.
The course will support learners with a deep interest in designing and manufacturing.
Band ‘A’ or ‘B’ at Higher Design & Manufacture.
The aims of the Course are to enable learners to:
• develop understanding and skills in the processes of designing for the manufacture of products in commercial and industrial contexts
• develop and apply an understanding of the factors which influence thinking for product design and manufacturing activities
• develop a critical and visual awareness associated with requirements for user interface and product detailing
• develop independence in learning and enquiry skills in the context of problem solving in designing and manufacturing
• develop economic, social and environmental awareness of the implications of a product’s design through its life cycle
Course Assessment Details
The final course assessment of the Advanced Higher Design & Manufacture Course will consist of two components:
• Examination Question Paper (2 hours) 80 marks; externally assessed.
• Assignment Task 120 marks: externally assessed.
Passing the course equates to one level 7 qualification (32 SCQF credit points)
This Course or its Units may provide progression to:
• a range of design and/or manufacturing-related Higher National Diplomas (HNDs)
• degrees in design and/or manufacturing-related disciplines
• careers in design and/or manufacturing design fields.
For further information please contact Mr S Urquhart, PT Technologies.